Winescout.info Original & exciting wines from producers who deserve it to be better known
Navigation bar is missing? Please click home
and learn more about winescout.info - other original and exciting wines, criteria, opinions and updates.
Domaine Piétri-Géraud V.D.N. "Cuvée Joseph Géraud" 1997, A.C. Banyuls. **HERITAGE WINE**
dark amber red (lots of brown).
Nose: expressive, very mature and warm with many nutty and dried fruit (raisins, figs) nuances, caramel, vanilla, creamy and complex with some cocoa, a touch of smoke, not unlike a very good tawny Port.
Taste: full bodied, warm, quite sweet, but nicely matched by the soft and spicy tannins, very intense, multi layered, complex and concentrated, with many nuances of nuts, dried fruit (raisins, figs), caramel, vanilla, a touch of smoke, excellent balance, quite impressive, mature and classical style.
Finish: very long, fanning out, intense, warm, spicy, very mature, with many nuances of nuts, dried fruit, caramel and a touch of smoke.
* A great, classical and very mature fortified sweet red wine with many warm and complex nuances of nuts, caramel, raisins, cocoa and smoke, great intensity and depth combined with a creamy richness.
- Drink now, will keep several years, is already quite mature, is not likely to improve much.
- This is a very dedicated producer of very good quality wines, most of them in a classical style. There is a varying amount of attractive rusticity in the wines that gives them an extra touch of quality and style. They are not super clean and polished, they still posses that extra touch of terroir and artisan style. Concentration and balance are prominent factors next to the very original aroma's in these wines. Do not expect new world wines that are destined to please a wide audience, these are wines to be discovered step by step leading you into a new (essentially old) world of terroir derived taste impressions.
This wine is produced in the
most classical and mature style of Banyuls: 1 year in concrete cuves on
its fine lees (yeast deposit) and subsequently 90% of the wine is matured
for 6 years in foudres (big wooden vats), 10% is aged in barriques
(small barrels) unsheltered in the open air, subjected to the hot summer
sun and cold winter. Produced from 90% Grenache (Noir) and 10% Carignan
grapes, all very old vines (40 - 100 years) with very low yields (25 hl/ha).
- lotnr.: L 042101
- tasted: 22-04-’05 (retasted 01-02-'06 - 9 months later - has declined a bit: less complex, older and starting to dry out, but shows the stamina this wine has.)
- estimated retail price ca. 15 euro
- average production: 7.000 bottles
- Domaine Piétri-Géraud (Maguy & Laetitia Piétri-Géraud), 22 Rue Pasteur, 66190 Collioure, France, tel.: +33-468823481, fax.: + 33-468980258, e-mail: email@example.com