Winescout.info Original & exciting wines from producers who deserve it to be better known
Navigation bar is missing? Please click home
and learn more about winescout.info - other original and exciting wines, criteria, opinions and updates.
Domaine Piétri-Géraud rouge 2002, A.C. Collioure. **HERITAGE WINE**
very dark red with some browning in the rim.
Nose: quite expressive, mature and warm with many balsamic nuances, cedar, sandalwood, sealing-wax, spices, pepper, raisins, ripe brambles, quite complex and even with elegance, beautiful sundrenched, classical style.
Taste: medium bodied, dry, strong, with lots of tannins, alcohol, spices, tobacco, some raisiny fruit, a bit less concentrated than the nose suggests, but with good overall balance and attractive warm, mature and classically fashioned.
Finish: medium long, warm, mature and with spicy, piquant tannins, impressions of pepper, cedar and a touch of raisiny fruit.
* A classical, mature and sundrenched wine with quite a few tannins, a strong, regional character and a beautiful range of complex and even elegant mature aroma's of cedar and spices.
- Drink now, will keep one, maybe two years, but is already quite mature now, is not likely to improve, risk of drying out.
- 2002 was a difficult vintage in the region (ultimate south-eastern part of France, within the Roussillon) often resulting in lighter and less great wines. In this wine power and intensity are partly traded for elegance and early maturity. A good achievement in a difficult year, showing the dedication and capability of this small scale producer. Produced from quite old vines with low yields (30 hl/ha) 60% Grenache, 20% Syrah, 10% Mourvèdre, 10% very old Carignan (Noir). This wine is aged on its lees in cuve during 11 months, not in wood.
- lotnr.: L 032201
- tasted: 22-04-’05
- estimated retail price ca. 13 euro
- average production: 10.000 bottles
- Domaine Piétri-Géraud (Maguy & Laetitia Piétri-Géraud), 22 Rue Pasteur, 66190 Collioure, France, tel.: +33-468823481, fax.: + 33-468980258, e-mail: email@example.com