Winescout.info Original & exciting wines from producers who deserve it to be better known
Navigation bar is missing? Please click home
and learn more about winescout.info - other original and exciting wines, criteria, opinions and updates.
Casa Monfrare Monastrell Joven 2003, D.O. Valencia
medium red with no purple.
Nose: quite expressive, nice peppery and spicy, with a lot of clean and ripe red and black fruit. Jammy nuances of strawberries, warm, nearly Rhône like, with some balsamic impressions of sandalwood and cedar. Not deep, not complex, delicious and well balanced.
Taste: medium body, spicy, with elegant freshness, quite intense, many strong, young and spicy tannins, dominant impressions of fruit, good balance between astringency, freshness and fruit, still young and piquant. Very clean and spicy fruit, also impressions of sandalwood and cedar.
Finish: despite the ample and young tannins, quite supple, very fruity (spicy) and fresh, very clean with warmth and again a touch of sandalwood and cedar. Well balanced.
* A well balanced, ecologically produced red wine with very clean and attractive fruit, elegant freshness, spices, a touch of sandalwood, cedar and warmth all matching perfectly the piquant and spicy tannins, giving this supple wine an interesting and attractive bite.
- This wine is intended to be drunk young. The expressive fruit invites early consumption. The piquant and young tannins may give this wine some ageing potential but I doubt it will become even more interesting. Drink between now and 2007.
- There are great things going on in Spain. The last decade have showed a great leap forward in terms of quality. Not only technique, but even more important the mentality has shifted towards quality. Another very encouraging development is the trend directing to ecological wine production. Especially the southern parts of Spain are very favourable for this type of sympathetic and respectable viticulture. This producer shows he is able to produce high quality ecological wines with a strong character for a very reasonable price.
- lotnr.: 23 04
- tasted: 01-12-’04
- estimated retail price ca. 5,5 euro
- average production: 70.000 bottles
- Bodegas Los Frailes, Mr. Daniel Villanueva, Fontanars dels Alforins, E-46635 Valencia, Espaņa. Export manager tel.: mobile: + 32-473 73 13 51; Fax (Spain): + 34-96 336 31 53; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; web site: www.bodegaslosfrailes.com