Winescout.info Original & exciting wines from producers who deserve it to be better known
Navigation bar is missing? Please click home
and learn more about winescout.info - other original and exciting wines, criteria, opinions and updates.
Casa Monfrare Monastrell - Cabernet Sauvignon Barrica 2004, D.O. Valencia
intense red with purple.
Nose: expressive, warm, spicy vanilla, smoke, but also lots of red ripe fruit, some sweet spicy nuances of oak, nice intensity, some complexity, even a touch of elegance, very clean nuances.
Taste: warm, spicy, good intensity with some tannins, a slight touch of chocolate and balsamic nuances, supple middle palate, oaky vanilla, good fruit and some raisins, well balanced and clean.
Finish: a little touch dry, but compensated by good juicy fruit, spices, wood (vanilla), warm and pleasant.
* Young, ecologically produced red wine from a warm region in Spain, expressing its provenance nicely, warm and wood aged character, with emphasis on ripe red and spicy fruit, quite supple and balanced, easy drinking with attractive character.
- This wine is drinking very well at the moment, will keep on doing so for a year or two, not a wine that will benefit from ageing, it lacks the backbone and strong acidity to withstand the years.
- Spain is on the move forward
and upward, this wine shows it. There is also a growing interest in ecological
production. Especially in this warm and dry area there are great opportunities
for this type of viticulture. Produced form 80% Monastrell (cousin of the
stubborn Mourvèdre grape of Bandol) and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon and
aged for just 3 months in wood (barriques). The 2003
vintage of this wine was clearly more astringent. This producer is
fine tuning its wines for the ever demanding export market. The other wines
of this producer also show successfully that modern, affordable and easy
drinking wines can be of good and interesting quality expressing the grape
and terroir of the vineyards. They also show environmentally responsible
produced wines can match wines produced by any other method. And that is
good news for both the wine lover and the world.
- lotnr.: CJ 0705
- tasted: 16-06-’05
- estimated retail price ca. 6,5 euro
- average production: 25.000 bottles
- Bodegas Los Frailes, Mr. Daniel Villanueva, Fontanars dels Alforins, E-46635 Valencia, España. Export manager tel.: mobile: + 32-473 73 13 51; Fax (Spain): + 34-96 336 31 53; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; web site: www.bodegaslosfrailes.com