Winescout.info Original & exciting wines from producers who deserve it to be better known
Navigation bar is missing? Please click home
and learn more about winescout.info - other original and exciting wines, criteria, opinions and updates.
Clivi "Galea" 2003, D.O.C. Collio Orientali del Friuli **HERITAGE WINE**
quite intense yellow with some green.
Nose: medium expressive, rich and ripe with mature impressions of herbs, earth, almonds, flowers, some raisins, quince, honey, shredded bark, a touch of ginger, beautiful minerals, depth, elegance, very clean and natural, a symphony of classy subtle and difficult to grasp nuances, very impressive, great wine with great balance.
Taste: dry, powerful, reasonably full bodied, warm (alcohol) and ripe impressions but also great, piquant freshness, compact, but also with some richness, very intense, mature, with a lot of minerals, herbs, an attractive touch of bitterness, almonds, a touch of honey, ginger and raisins, great purity, multi layered, with great length and depth, excellent balance, classy wine.
Finish: very long, fanning-out, very intense, with impressions of herbs, almonds, ginger, shredded bark, minerals, alcohol and acidity, very good balance.
* A great wine from a "hot" vintage, but with an impressive freshness and a rich, ripe and concentrated character in which a symphony of complex, subtle nuances of herbs, nuts, minerals, flowers, honey and ginger is displayed, a wine with great depth, length, balance and purity. This unique wine's character shows there is a whole world of breathtaking aroma's to be discovered next to those from Chardonnay, Sauvignon and even Viognier.
- Drink this wine somewhere between now and 2010, maybe 2011.
You can detect the influence of the very hot vintage 2003 in this
wine if you taste carefully, but it has not affected the wine in a
negative sense. It is richer and more mature than in other vintages,
its has more alcohol, but has still that unique character and quality
of the whites of I Clivi.
This wine comes from another world. It is so different from the mainstream high quality wines so fashionable today. There is no sexy oak, no obvious fruit, no expressive character. This wine is all about terroir, elegance, freshness, complexity, purity and aromatic restraint. This wine is not made to please the crowd, it is an honest and devoted expression of the unfashionable (indigenous) grapes (Tocai Friulano 75%, Verduzzo Friulano 17% and others 8%) the climate and the sloping vineyards of the "Collio" zone of Friuli-Venezia Giulia in Northern Italy. Crafted from old vines (>40 years old up to more than 60) with very low yields ( ca. 24 hl/ha) cold fermented with its own vineyards' yeast cultures with subsequent malolactic fermentation, matured in inox tanks on its own lees for 2 years, no racking or filtration. This is a wine as natural and original as you can get. No make-up of maceration préfermentaire or wood is used, this is pure grape juice transformed into wine.
see also: opinion 5
- lotnr.: L 8211
- tasted: 23-01-’08
- estimated retail price ca. € 20,=
- production: 14.000 bottles
- Azienda Agricola I Clivi, Mr. Ferdinando Zanusso, Loc. Gramogliano 20, 33040 Corno di Rosazzo (UD) Italia, tel.: + 39-0432 753429, fax.: + 39-0432 752263, e-mail: email@example.com ; web site: www.clivi.it