Winescout.info Original & exciting wines from producers who deserve it to be better known
Navigation bar is missing? Please click home
and learn more about winescout.info - other original and exciting wines, criteria, opinions and updates.
Clivi "Galea" rosso 2000, D.O.C. Collio Orientali del FriuliColor: dark and sombre reddish-brown.
* An intense and expressive, mature and super classical wine: an intriguing mix of an earthy, classy Bordeaux (aroma's) with loads of phenolic and mature impressions of mushrooms, earth, cedar, farmyard and smoke and a structure of a classical Burgundy (less compact and tight than Bordeaux) combined with the elegance and remarkably freshness of a high quality Cabernet from the Loire. A wine from another era in the style of the 1970-ties, 100% naturally produced from very old Merlots, an absolute rarity.
- Drink this wine somewhere between now and 2010, it is not a keeper.
- This wine like the other (white) wines from I Clivi comes from another world. It is so different from the mainstream high quality wines so fashionable today. There is no sexy oak, no obvious fruit, but there is an immense quantity of mature and old fashioned aroma's so common in old wines of before the 1980-ties. This wine is all about terroir, but that also makes it very difficult to understand. It has three faces: Bordeaux, Burgundy and Loire. The Merlot grape is responsible for its Bordeaux-like character, I assume the climate and maybe the soils sign for the Burgundy-touch and the freshness of the Loire impression might originate from a chalky soil and or the specific climate in 2000. I do not know, but to me this wine is both fascinating and confusing. I can not help expecting to taste a Bordeaux structure because of its aroma's but I am presented with a mix of the etherical, hefty style and freshness which I associate with good- very good Burgundy and Loire-reds.
This wine is made from very old and low yielding Merlot vines, vinified and matured with as little as possible intervention, indigenous yeasts and maturation in used (not new) barriques, unfiltered bottling, vineyard care without synthetic sprays or herbicides, in fact organic practice, but not registered as such. Let's be glad there still are passionate winegrowers and wine makers following their own route to quality. What they produce never can be cheap, but tasting or drinking such a wine you can not but conclude you get an impressive amount of value for your money .
see also: opinion 5
- lotnr.: L 5221
- tasted: 23-01-’08
- estimated retail price ca. € 27,=
- production: very limited
- Azienda Agricola I Clivi, Mr. Ferdinando Zanusso, Loc. Gramogliano 20, 33040 Corno di Rosazzo (UD) Italia, tel.: + 39-0432 753429, fax.: + 39-0432 752263, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; web site: www.clivi.it