Winescout.info Original & exciting wines from producers who deserve it to be better known
Navigation bar is missing? Please click home
and learn more about winescout.info - other original and exciting wines, criteria, opinions and updates.
Quinta dos Mattos tinto reserva Tinta Roriz 2003, D.O. Douro
very dark red with just a bit purple.
Nose: quite expressive, warm, with lots of ripe and sweet, jammy fruit, very Port like, many spicy nuances, very nice fruit (cherries) and also strawberries and raspberries in the background. Very attractive and inviting, some depth, some complexity.
Taste: quite full bodied, with nice power, creamy and round, mild with some alcohol, spicy (black pepper), ripe and rich, sweet fruit, juicy, some minerals, well integrated tannins, mild acidity, good concentration, convincing regional character. Very good balance.
Finish: quite long, with nice concentration, spicy sweetness, lots of ripe red fruit, round and mild with some (attractive) dry tannins coming through, well balanced and attractive.
* A ripe and round Douro
wine, very nice fruit, spices, aroma's suggesting a sweet character, but
the taste is attractively dry and well structured, very well balanced
wine with a Port like character and some complexity and depth.
- Drinks very well at this moment, could improve with age, but it is already so delicious I would not take the risk waiting for it too long as the very nice and sweetish fruit may fade or change into more earthy and spicy nuances. Another argument is the mild acidity that might make this wine unbalanced if aged too long. Will keep for a few years: up to 2007-8.
- Good and attractive Douro wine, quite approachable for its provenance, good depth and complexity. All these factors make a very nice combination to drink and enjoy. Price is fair. A classical, serious producer.
- lotnr.: 0781
- tasted: 25-04-’05
- estimated retail price ca. 12,00 euro
- average production: not known
- Coimbra de Mattos, Lda. Rua de Alcāntara, 221, 4350-025 Porto Portugal, tel.: + 351 225 021 540 ; fax: + 351 225 092 616 ; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org