Winescout.info Original & exciting wines from producers who deserve it to be better known
Navigation bar is missing? Please click home
and learn more about winescout.info - other original and exciting wines, criteria, opinions and updates.
Domaine de Gournier Blanc Cuvée Tradition 2005, V.d.P. des Cévennes
very light yellow white with a touch of green.
Nose: quite expressive, very fresh, young, yeasty, mineral, some piquancy, some herbs and apply fruit, a touch of wax, some richness, but also quite compact and with a touch of complexity, a hint of chardonnay (sweetness, richness), clean, not modern and exuberant, exotically fruity, but more low key earthy herby freshness.
Taste: dry, very fresh, with strong acidity, some richness and softness, impressions of herbs, hops, honey, apples, a slight attractive bitterness, clear minerals, mild earthiness, clean and well balanced, still very young.
Finish: quite long, medium intense, clean, with fresh acidity, minerals, a mild bitterness, some apples and herbs.
* A very affordable and surprisingly good, well balanced dry white wine with interesting personality, very clean, yeasty style with emphasis on minerals, herbs rather than on expressive, exotic fruit, attractive modern expression of terroir. Versatile with food, very good value for money.
- Starting to show well now, will improve during 2006, keep until mid 2007. Not a wine for cellaring.
- Produced by a very reliable and modest producer in the lesser know Cévennes region (eastern part of the Midi, bordering the Rhône). Many wines from this producer provide a lot of quality and enjoyment for little money. Intensity is the keyword here in most wines. The reds are honest and good examples of the terroir, sometimes a bit earthy and sturdy, the rosé is more elegant, but at least as good. The whites are catching up (quality wise) with the reds. This certainly is a producer to watch. Not a source for top wines but its middle class wines are difficult to beat in quality for the price, provided you don't look for elegance and refinement but for honesty and character.
This dry white is produced from Chardonnay, Grenache Blanc, Rolle, Sauvignon Blanc and Ugni Blanc. No maturation in wood. The assemblage varies from year to year depending on the vintage results.
- lotnr.: L no indication
- tasted: 16-02’06
- estimated retail price ca. 5 euro
- production: ca. 50.000 bottles
- Domaine de Gournier, Mr. Maurice Barnouin, Mrs. de la Porte, 30190 Boucoiran, tel.: + 33-466 83 30 91 / fax.: + 33-466 83 31 08 / e-mail : email@example.com