Original & exciting wines from producers who deserve it to be better known

Navigation bar is missing? Please click

and learn more about - other original and exciting wines, criteria, opinions and updates.


Domaine Piétri-Géraud V.D.N. Blanc "Cuvée du Soleil" 2000, A.C. Banyuls. **HERITAGE WINE**

Colour: clear yellowish brown, nearly orange.
Nose: quite expressive, very mature, with many, beautiful, nutty (almonds and walnuts) nuances, sweetness, subtle spiciness, a touch of very good sherry, some raisins and minerals.
Taste: full bodied, sweet, round, rich, mild, velvety soft, intense, nutty (almonds), with many impressions of raisins, caramel, some flowers, minerals, good acidity, impressive balance.
Finish: very long, intense, fanning out, concentrated, nutty, warm, very pure and clean, soft, sweet, mild, with a vast number of subtle, mature nuances. Great balance.

* A rare, very traditional, fortified, sweet white wine of great intensity, richness and softness, beautifully oxidative in style displaying a nice range of nutty and caramel nuances, also mineral with a lively freshness, impressive balance.

- Drink from now, will keep many years, is already quite mature, will develop more earthy and nutty nuances.

- This is a very dedicated producer of very good quality wines, most of them in a classical style. There is a varying amount of attractive rusticity in the wines that gives them an extra touch of quality and style. They are not super clean and polished, they still posses that extra touch of terroir and artisan style.  Concentration and balance are prominent factors next to the very original aroma's in these wines. Do not expect new world wines that are destined to please a wide audience, these are wines to be discovered step by step leading you into a new (essentially old) world of terroir derived taste impressions.

A white Banyuls is a rarity. The vast majority is red (or brown depending on the style). This white Banyuls is made in the traditional (oxidative) way (a more modern approach is their "normal" Banyuls Blanc). This quite expensive traditional cuvée is matured unsheltered (in open air) during 3 years in huge glass bottles (bonbonnes de verre) 90% and the remaining 10% is matured in barriques (small wooden barrels). Like her less traditional sister this wine is made from the unpopular and often disregarded grapes Grenache Blanc (80%) and Grenache Gris (20%). Low yields are the norm here (25 Hl/ha).

- lotnr.: L 031992 (only 500 ml. bottles)

- tasted: 22-04-’05 (the same bottle was retasted 9 month after opening - 01-02-2006 - and was still in great condition: a bit less full bodied and soft, a bit more nutty in style, but still impressive)

- estimated retail price ca. 28 euro

- average production: ca. 1.000 bottles

- Domaine Piétri-Géraud (Maguy & Laetitia Piétri-Géraud), 22 Rue Pasteur, 66190 Collioure, France, tel.:  +33-468823481, fax.: + 33-468980258, e-mail: